Thursday 23 January 2014

The Explorer - James Smythe

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/james+smythe/the+explorer/9575077/
About a week ago there was a segment on Breakfast TV about a planned mission into space, a proposed one way mission. They interviewed a student who wants to be part of this one way trip into space, and discussed the implications of leaving family, friends, the earth itself behind. Watching this reminded me of this book. I'd had it on my radar for a while, but as my 'to-read' list is always quite ridiculously long that didn't necessarily mean I would actually get round to reading it. Fate got in the way though, and I spotted a copy of the hardback edition at my local Poundland, so obviously I had to pick it up. I don't know quite what I was expecting, whatever it was the reality went beyond my expectations. Combining a fatal journey into space, with elements similar to The Man From Primrose Lane, this is a mindblowing story. I just hope that noone involved in the proposed mission is put off by this vivid work of fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment