Tuesday 3 December 2013

The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Goldfinch-Donna-Tartt/dp/1408704943/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386197057&sr=8-1&keywords=the+goldfinch

I know that when I was sent my review copy of this one several people were a little jealous about it. Personally I was very pleased and yet also a little intimidated by the great brick of a book I had been presented with. It seems that far too many of the books that I feel need reading this year have been massive, 700+ page tomes. This has put me off reading some of them, not forever but just until my reading challenge was complete. However I couldn't delay getting stuck into this one, I was too keen to get started.Iin the end it became something insanely difficult to put down, and despite beingreally very busy in the first week of August, I managed to read through it in only a few days.

I read this from 1st Aug-5th Aug 2013.....

'I have waited a while to come back and write my review of 'The Goldfinch', and still I am not quite sure what I want to say about it. At 784 pages, it really is quite a brick and yet once you start reading you find that the pages fly by, and you are just wanting more of the flowing beautiful prose. Theo Decker is a total individual and the story of his travels through modern America is both powerful and emotionally charged. Obsession and loss are the overriding themes of the story, although the value of true friendship is also explored in depth. At times this is an emotional read, and the descent into the criminal underworld comes almost as light relief; all I can say don't be put off by the length of this, just read this beautiful book.'

Review taken from my Goodreads review page.

No comments:

Post a Comment