Thursday 5 December 2013

World Fantasy Award for Best Novel 2013


I am so pleased to read that Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson has won the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel 2013.

I read this back in 2012 and was blown away by it's blend of the Arab Spring and 1001 Nights. It is a really unusual and enjoyable read. Certainly one I would recommend to any fans of The Night Circus or The Snow Child.

Here is the review I gave it at the time.
I read this in July 2012

'I don't know if this is a work of true genius or if it's just insane. Right now I'm torn, probably leaning towards the genis though; it's the Arab Spring meets Thousand and One Nights. To be honest I think it needs more than one reading to appreciate the complexities of the story. It seems to have some profound things to say about faith and religion, as well as about the nature of freedom, but I may have missed some of these trying to come to grips with computer hackers being protected by the Genie from Aladdin. It has some amazing characters and some brilliantly written scenes all wrapped up in this beautiful concept, certainly one to read.'



No comments:

Post a Comment